Friday, April 13, 2007

Harsher Criticisms

Well, with the good feedback come the bad. I should not say bad, not in this case anyway. I communicated with a manager of the Wright Muir PA law firm down in the Broward area today and came in for some harsh criticisms. Though harsh, it was constructive. But on some level it was a bitter pill. I have to learn to keep an even steady attitude and not rise and fall with the positive and negative comments that I receive. That is easier said than done. I suppose it comes with the territory.

Inasmuch as the comments seemed a bit harsh, I had to admit that there was truth to it. On top of which, the manager was willing to talk about improvements rather than tearing down. And so, I have a follow up call with him on Monday. Harsh criticisms or not, I am looking forward to the follow up call because I think it will help in the development of the magazine.

Among the criticisms was the fact that the layout needed to be improved upon. A little bit sharper graphics and design was another area that was mentioned and the type of paper used. But, the positive was that the content was good. So he was comfortable with what the magazine is about. Now I just need to get the packaging improved.

Even though I agree with the assessment above, I can't help but chuckle at the fact that different eyes yield different perspectives. A couple blog entries ago I wrote about the positive comments that I received from several people that I mailed the magazine to. Yet the same magazine elicited a slightly different response. As far as I am concerned, I will take all the criticisms in a positive light and try to incorporate them in the next issue. After all, it is a learning process.

No comments: