Friday, March 30, 2007

Sacrifices and balancing acts


As I drove home today, I pondered about my young magazine and the sacrifices being made into making this dream a reality. There has been some recent developments that bode well for the upcoming issues and development of the magazine over all. But the sacrifices go well beyond financial. And it is that aspect that I would like to address here in this post.

A start up venture of any sort takes time and dedication and patience. It takes time to plan and execute that plan. It takes dedication to the plan that you created and patience to see it through even when there are slow times. And thought. It takes a lots and lot of thought. And the same is true here. Any given time a decision has to be made. For example the benefits of a late evening networking event must be weighed against taking time away from family. This became evident when I decided against attending the monthly meeting of the Jamaicans of the Palm Beaches tonight. I hadn't been there in a while and as a rule I make an effort to attend meetings of various organizations every couple of months to stay connected. But instead, at the last moment I chose to skip the meeting to have some quiet time with my lovely wife Nicole Ann.


So what kind of sacrifices have I noticed thus far? Well, as I mentioned there is financial sacrifices and time. But there is also emotional and mental sacrfice as well. After all, my mind is always working on what to do next, planning, worrying about getting enough advertisers, making the next networking event etc etc etc. And of course, inevitably there is the tendency to allow the magazine to flow over in other areas of my life. Some professionals that I have spoken to emphasized that it is critical to have the support of friends and family in different ventures.


But basically it is a balancing act. And so now I am considering exploring this topic of sacrificing and balancing in the next issue. How do business owners balance time in their business and their personal lives? What sacrifices are being made? Hmm let's see what I can come up with for the next issue.

No comments: