Thursday, March 01, 2007

Connection problems


For a couple days last week I could not get online. There was some congestion in the wireless network where I could not get online from my laptop or my desktop. In the end, all I needed to do was to unplug the modem from the electrical outlet and wait 60 to 90 seconds and then reconnect and turn the computer back on. It worked! (If that is all it takes, I could be a network technician!)
But all the time that the network was down and I could not get online, I was out of the communication loop. I could not check my emails and that presented a huge problem. It got me thinking: What if I had a small business and could not get online access because of problems outside of my control. We are dependent on the BellSouth, FPL and other service providers that are so large that a small business means little. I wonder how many small business owners plan for this type of thing. At least, if my networking issues continued I could go to a local library and some other place to check my email. But I assume that for some businesses it may not be that easy. The next time I get to chat with some business owners I have to bring that up.

No comments: