Thursday, March 01, 2007

Reactions: JAUSACC Networking Event


The Jamaica USA chamber of commerce did it again! Many thanks must go out the chamber president Marie Gill and the hostess Catherine Malcolm of Jerk Machine for the organization of this event as black history month drew to a close. In fact it was a fitting conclusion to Black History month. And that was some good food! Nuff respect every time…………

This is the second event I can remember going to put on by the JAUSACC (the first was last year honoring the Jamaican entrepreneurs) and both were very well put together events. Although, somehow I am getting notice of these events at the last minute. (Hint: Check with the Marie Gill on my member ship status). Consul General Alicock was inspiring and the NAACP representative Marsha Ellison was passionate. Talk about differing styles. I was impressed with the turnout and the camaraderie that was evident. I was especially proud to look around the room and see various well dressed people representing different professions, most of whom shared a common background (wi come fram Yaad; meaning we are Jamaicans)

The response I got in relation to the CBD was more than encouraging. Regrettably, I did not have a sample of the magazine (Omar Spence thought that was a sin). I am expecting the shipment by Thursday or Friday. The idea was well received however despite the handicap, and people wanted to know more. So, the next few days will be spent sending email versions of the latest issue out. Hopefully, I will be able to further gauge the interest which will then help in the planning of the next issue.

As I drove home last night (and it was a long drive), I had time to reflect on the event and what was said. Alicock in his speech made mention of the fact that right there within the room were people who can make or are making a difference. In terms of the magazine I would say right in that room were a ton of stories that could very well feature in coming issues. Marie Gill is due some column inches as well as the JAUSACC, Jerk Machine along with its successful owners and much more. There was Jasmine Calder who started her law firm, another lady who designs shoes (or was it sandals?) who would make for fantastic articles. And that’s just to name a few.

Additionally, I am hoping to form some alliances. Certainly there are opportunities. The founders of CMM (Michael Lewis and Tyrone Robertson) mentioned they were talking about doing a magazine later at some point; there was a freelance writer and of course marketing people. So now, I have to do my homework and put together a plan to approach these folks and start the dialogue.

Without a doubt, the close to 30 business cards that I collected will have to be made full use of. My work is certainly cut out for me as I would like to keep the interest alive and strike while the iron is hot (or mek hay wile de sun shine). My night was rounded out with a chat with Winsome Charlton as she gave me pointers on how to make use of effective advertising and some basic do’s and don’ts. This was three hours well spent and worth the time and effort. I am looking forward to more events like this.

As I made the turn into the driveway of my Hobe Sound, Martin County house I am left remembering bits and pieces of two of the numerous conversations I had that night: Marlon Hill encouraging me to “force the door open” to get into the a couple organizations in the Palm Beach county area and seize the initiative; and David Muir (Wright Muir P.A.) pointing out that the idea behind the magazine is good as it presents a new way for the people present to market themselves and the relationships formed can be symbiotic.

And in a cruel twist of irony, as I open the front door, there off to the side was a box containing the latest issue for the magazine. It was only three hours late!

View the magazine's website at www.caribbeanbusinessdigest.com

No comments: