Thursday, March 01, 2007

Magazinelaunch.com Online Forum

I remember talking with Hugh Sinclair from Irie Spice where he mentioned that he keeps up with online forums pertinent to his line of work. I am attempting to emulate his example and found this website that deals with people launching a magazine call magazinelaunch.com. I remember reading a while back a post where the expert advised not to put too much emphasis in getting a whole bunch of printed media kits. His view is that things change from time to time and having this fancy glossy paper media kit could be a waste of time and money. Most advertisers and subscribers will probably end up getting electronic copies anyway. Alas, I did not heed the advice and I went out and spent hundreds of dollars on a media kit and business cards. As it turns out it is good to have business cards but I am stuck with the box of printed glossy media kits in my drawer. Most of the people I contact for advertising do end up getting the kit in a PDF format. Lesson learnt here. I am thinking of making some changes to my magazine going forward, possibly having a smaller finished copy instead of the 8.5 by 11 that I now have. If that happens then I will have to change the rate structure.

More recently, there was an item posted where the expert advised that whatever online presence you have i.e. website; you still have to actively market and sell your ideas to get advertisers and subscribers. Having a website doesn’t mean people are going to flock to it an all of a sudden advertise and subscribe. That was timely for me. I just got my website up and running. But now I know that while I try to use the website to establish an online presence, I have to still make the calls and follow up. The website is just a tool that I have to use properly and not the end objective. I plan to keep reading and contributing to this forum as it is proving very beneficial. Good job magazinelaunch.com!

No comments: