Friday, February 23, 2007

Previewing the current issue Part IV: Monikah Ogando's Tips for Personal Security

Monikah Ogando’s contribution comes in handy at this time of year, particularly as New Year’s resolutions start being in danger of being broken. In this the final of my 4 part review of this latest issue, I am in a reflective mood as I ponder about the article. My wife Nicole Ann, who read the article, commented that this was the best article in this issue. Since she is usually right about everything I chose not to argue but I do agree that the message is profound. While other articles make for light and interesting reading, Ms Ogando certainly made some major points that should result in some deep thinking for most of us, whether we are from the Caribbean or not. I am not sure Ms Ogando is from the Caribbean but her message transcends geographical lines. And that is one of my aims for the CBD; I want to create a bridge between different cultures and groups.
The tips she gave are certainly practical not only in a workplace setting but in life in general. Sometimes we should dare to venture outside of our comfort zone. Nerissa Street (who will feature in an upcoming issue) pointed out to me that any change (or birthing of a new idea for that matter) can be painful, uncomfortable and sometimes downright awkward. But, I believe that is fine as long as you seek to thrive, grow and learn.
I was particular touched by the question at the end of Ms Ogando’s article. To paraphrase she asked what is it that, if you died you would be satisfied that you have accomplished? That is a question I will choose to answer in the deepest recesses of my mind but I can be sure that the answer won’t be easy. In effect, the answer should always be changing as I believe that we should always be striving for betterment. So, if you have achieved certain goals or accomplishments then it is time to set a new one. Maybe that is not the type of answer that Ms Ogando was looking for but it certainly got me thinking. And at a minimum, that means her article was effective. I hope that my readers will be as stimulated by this as I was.

Visit the Caribbean Business Digest website at www.caribbeanbusinessdigest.com.

No comments: