Thursday, February 15, 2007

Minor changes for this year

Late last year I spoke with Sharon Reid of the McKenzie Traning Group, who at the time was organizing a construction forum in Lauderdale, about the launch of my magazine among other things. She offered some tips and valuable insight but also admitted that she does not know the effort that goes into producing a magazine even at a smaller circulation such as mine.

Well, even at a smaller scale I am learning what it takes to produce each issue. As such I am forced to tweak things as I go along. One change that I am making this year is to stop putting dates on each issue. Since there is some uncertainty as to the timing of each issue it is best to label each issue as Volume I, Volume II etc. (Playboy magazine did not have a date on the first issue either!)

Another change I am making is to make the frequency 4 times a year. Now, from previous blog entries you can see that I favor a higher frequency (bi-monthly at a minimum). However, budget wise, that is not feasible. So I am being forced to make this decision and aim for a minimum quarterly publication. In the event I can squeeze out a bonus issue then I will do so. As a result of the cutback, I also have cut the subscription price to $9.99 annually. Hopefully, the reduced rate will draw in some subscription orders.

So, the 2007 Volume I issue will go to print over the weekend and distribution will start early next week. Let’s see if there is any reaction to these minute but necessary changes.

No comments: