Friday, February 23, 2007

Previewing the current issue Part II: NAWIC Women in Construction


Breaking the glass ceiling and glass walls. In hindsight that should have been the name of the NAWIC article. The profile on the National Association of Women in Construction came to me while attending the Business Monday Construction forum at the Island Mecca late last year. Sharon Reid of the McKenzie Training Group, one of the event’s organizers, mentioned that NAWIC has been around for a long time. After watching a presentation done by Ms. Alyce Zahniser, head of the Fort Lauderdale Chapter, I decided it would be a good departure from the norm (NAWIC is not a Caribbean oriented group as far as I am aware) to talk with her and see what her group is all about. One of the main things that I learnt, which I think often gets missed, is the fact that the construction industry is far more than just brick and mortar. There is the financing, insurance, architecture and a whole slew of things that go into construction. I also spoke with Rhonda Wimberly the head of the Miami chapter as she talked about her goals for her chapter. It was quite enlightening and by doing this article I hope that I can further introduce these professional groups to my readers and take a piece of the Caribbean to their group as well.

Visit the Caribbean Business Digest website at www.caribbeanbusinessdigest.com

No comments: