Sunday, August 20, 2006

Making the rounds....... GCACC Let's Talk

As I continue to make the rounds to establish the magazine, I attended the annual event put on by the Greater Caribbean American Chamber of Commerce Let’s Talk forum. This is an event where the chamber invites members of the media to speak to various issues that face the Caribbean community. This is done in a panel format. The media was well represented as there were representatives of The Sun-Sentinel and The Miami Herald as well as HOT 105 who represented the bigger media entities. And of course the Caribbean media was also out in full force with the Caribbean Community, Caribbean Contact, WTPS 1080 among others represented. And of course the Caribbean Business Digest!!

There was a point where a question was posed to the panel about the coverage of businesses (after all GCACC is a business chamber). This was my opportunity to mention my magazine and of course I raised my hand and when given the chance to speak, informed the group that I have started a businesses magazine where I hope to bring Caribbean owned businesses and individuals into the spot light. After my short sermon, there was a round of applause and I will take the position the audience was pleased with the idea and promptly demonstrated this!!

I think that the idea behind this event is excellent. I am scheduled to have a sit-down with Tanya Ragbeer, the chamber’s president this week and hope to talk with her more about the chamber’s work. So make sure to pick up a copy of the next issue available at month end to learn more about the chamber and its activities.

In closing, there is one suggestion I will make to her. I think that once a year is too seldom for a forum such as this. This event should be held at a minimum twice a year or even better once a quarter. In this way, the issues are kept in the fore front. Progress can be noted and weak areas can be addressed. Just before the meeting ended, a gentleman asked what will be the outcome of all this dialogue. My fear is that the next annual event will just rehash the things we spoke about last Wednesday night. More frequent meetings could force the media represented to present action plans whose effectiveness could be evaluated.

No comments: