Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Recent show: afterthoughts part 1

Looking back at the latest show, I thought really long and hard about making the Anthony McClean interview into an online narrative rather than play the interview itself. In the end I thought the interview itself bore out what I wanted to accomplish - that is, to put listeners right in the middle of McClean's start up efforts. And I thought the audio version did that more than a written piece would.
That was a special interview on a variety of levels. As I had said before I get to interview business owners after they had already opened their businesses. This is the first time I got someone in the middle of getting the business started. Truly, it is an entirely different feeling. I am used to the owners looking back and telling me how they started and how they got to this point, McClean's case is different, he is looking forward to opening day and having to deal with the headaches and anxieties that come with it - permits, timely completion of construction projects to name but two.
I struggled with this interview. I did have a difficult controlling the interview and tried to bring him back on point a few times. I was surprised (pleasantly so) that he was candid about the costs incurred so far. Quite honestly, most owners that I talk to are a lot more cagey and private when it comes to the dollars side of things.
As I listened to him speak, I recalled a conversation I had several years ago when I spoke to another owner of a Jamaican resturant as I explained what I was trying to do with Caribbean Business Digest. He remarked "good 'cause nobody nah talk to we!"

All in all, I am happy I chose the audio option in spite of the humor from the continued reference to the "hood" (as it turns out a commercial hood system is a critical component of any commercial kitchen).


www.caribbeanbusinessdigest.net

2 comments:

South Florida Jamaican - Kingston21 said...

"the Hood".... lol.... Really admire the determination of Mr. McLean to move ahead despite the obstacles... Many of us in our Caribbean community can learn a lot from him.... If you believe in something, NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Mushtaq said...

HA! I listened to that interview a few times and all I can hear was "the hood", "the hump" and "the owner-man nuh gi refunds!!"

That aside, I had some one call me after listening to that interview and said the same thing. His determination served to be an inspiration. Have to appreciate the mentality!