Saturday, June 02, 2007

JA USA Chamber Business Expo

It has been a while since I made a blog post but that was due to a weekend getaway in Jamaica where I stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe hotel in Runaway Bay in St. Ann. I had a wonderful time and it was a beautiful hotel. I encourage everyone to consider it as an option when staying in Jamaica. And even though it rained, there was enough to do.

My last post I said I would talk about the Jamaica USA Chamber business expo. It seemed to be well organized and supported. I had a quick chat with a couple of exhibitors there and they were pleased with the turnout. And so was chamber president Marie Gill. I hope to have her comments as a part of an upcoming article in the next magazine issue. But she was pleased with the turnout and I am happy for her. I can remember talking with a few folks who mentioned that past events resulted in a low turnout. But that did not appear to be the case here.

I ran into Rovan Locke of the Caribbean Commentary newspaper. He gave me some feedback on the magazine and one thing he said was not to give it way free. He seems to favor establishing a cost for subscription or otherwise selling the publication. And I suppose he is right. That will let you add value to the publication. Rovan also offered to talk with me a little about the magazine so let's see what I can learn from this long time servant of the Caribbean community here in South Florida.

I also ran into Irvine Headley of Bilmor Advertising. Headley is also past president of the T&T USA chamber of commerce. I mentioned to him that the various Diasporas here need to do things more together and he agreed. We are trying to accomplish a lot of the same things after all. So it was nice to see him there at the Jamaican business expo.

David Muir of the law firm Wright Muir PA as always took the time to chat for a little bit. As it turns out, he produces a newsletter for the law firm which is quite well put together. So his connections with printers and designers may be useful. And he also took the time to introduce me to a couple folks he thought might be interested in my magazine and for that I was grateful.

No comments: