Thursday, November 30, 2006

Jamaican Diaspora Palm Beach meeting: Random thoughts

The last few weeks have been quite hectic putting the December issue together as well as doing the rounds promoting the magazine. I also attended a Jamaican Diaspora meeting in Palm Beach. During the meeting I asked the question about the crime situation in Jamaica. I also asked about the view that the Jamaican government takes of the Diaspora movement.

To clarify, it is not my intent to say forget the Diaspora movement because of the crime or because of any personal political views. But I do have my reasons for asking these questions. Here are my thoughts.

Let’s face it. Jamaica does have a crime problem. But as someone at that meeting pointed out crime is a factor everywhere. In fact, it was mentioned that some elements of crime in Jamaica starts here in South Florida. So we who live here need to stay vigilant as well.

My second question concerned just how seriously is the Jamaican government taking the Diaspora. My concern is that the role of the Diaspora must transcend the government. To that end, the Diaspora must seek to be more than just championing the Jamaican government. It should serve to push the existing government for positive change whether that is political or social change. To be fair the tone of the meeting echoed the thought that the Diaspora can work in concert with the Jamaican government and effect change above and beyond the government as well.

I did agree with the other people at the meeting who pointed out that the Diaspora is only as effective as each participant. So each individual must seek to effect change in his own circle.

A final point on the Diaspora meeting is this: Representative Marlon Hill indicated that the Diaspora is beneficial to both Jamaica as well as Jamaicans living abroad. This is important since there are Jamaicans here in the United States who could benefit from the Diaspora movement as well.

When I interviewed Hill for the September issue he did allude to a game plan to mobilize the Diaspora movement. So far the game plan seems to be taking shape. It would appear things are headed in the right direction. And I am looking forward to playing my part in this movement.

No comments: